My internship was in Higher Education, at Samford University, with the Department of Social Work. I did work for the Department of Social Work from August 2018-April 2019 under the supervision of department chair, Dr. Lisa Baker. The Department of Social Work was and is creating an online counterpart for their current face-to-face MSW program. I was tasked with assisting in that effort. For the most part, I spent one day per week at Samford, throughout Fall and Spring semesters.
I know that some internship had students working on one, singular and cohesive project/deliverable. In my case, I think that I was given an opportunity to function more like an IDD professional, working in higher education. I had a variety of tasks and experiences, and I got a more holistic view of instructional design practice. Here are some of the projects I did during my time at Samford:
- Development of Syllabus/Course Outline Template (I was asked to customize the Samford “Quality Matters Template” to the Department of Social Work. Here is the PDF: SW Syllabus Template May 2019
- Development of Canvas Template, here is the Video Tour of the “Social Work Blueprint”
- Dr. Baker asked me to collect information on other existing online MSW programs at the beginning of my time there. Here is the summary I gave her:
- I created this assignment for the Disaster Preparedness class (SOWK 590):
- I created a Storyline course as an introduction to field for online students. At the end of the internship, I moved the content over to Articulate Rise and made some other changes in collaboration with my SME, Dr. Jean Roberson. We are both please with the results.
- Here is the feedback I gave to Dr. Baker (SOWK 590) and Dr. Adenoyin (SOWK 506.01) after auditing their courses:
- This is a list of Psychological First Aid resources I compiled for Dr. Baker:
- These are some Job Aids I have made:
- I created a survey to obtain student feedback for the new learning activities in SOWK 590
Survey: Student Feedback Survey
Results: Survey Results
- Here is the course I helped Dr. Baker to create. It will be submitted for Quality Matters External Review.
Video Tour of Canvas Course SOWK 590:
- Here is the course that I helped Dr. Adedoyin to create. I started working with him on this course in January, and it was a process of both of us learning what Quality Matters recommends and of me teaching him about the differences between face-to-face classes and online classes.
Video Tour of Canvas Course SOWK 600